Workshops and Groups
Give Back CEU
Join Austin Family Counseling for our annual give back event and CEU. Every year Austin Family Counseling raises money for a local nonprofit organization through our ethics CEU. This year we are thrilled to be raising money for Austin Pets Alive! CEU Participants will have a safe and confidential place to talk about 20202, dispel fear around liability, delve into real-life scenarios that clinicians have experienced in the context of client relationships, walk away with practical and relevant information that can be implemented in clinical work and receive 1.5 hours of CEU credits. This is a virtual CEU.
Support for Working Moms in the time of COVID
Austin Family Counseling will host a Working Mom’s virtual support group meeting weekly on Thursdays at noon for 8 weeks from 1/21 – 3/11. The group will be a safe space for working moms to come together to share in the challenges and joys of balancing work life and parenthood. Moms attending this group can expect to find empathy and encouragement around boundaries, parenting, personal growth, relationships and more! Feel free to reach out to Brooklie Benson Gonzales for more information at [email protected].
Positive Discipline Workshops
Positive Discipline is for parents and caregivers who are looking for long-term skills that will encourage the children to think for themselves, become more responsible and have greater respect for themselves and for others. Tools are based in Adlerian theory, which promotes kindness and firmness to help parents and caregivers get to the core of the child’s misbehavior, bringing more joy into the home and offering a sense of accomplishment.
These experiential workshop are ideal for parents and caregivers who want to:
- Learn how to teach children and not boss them
- Incorporate respect, firmness and love into discipline
- Understand the reasons and beliefs behind behaviors
- Successfully implement effective family meetings
- Create a home environment that enhances cooperation, collaboration, communication, a sense of connections, accountability and mutual respect.
Teaching Parenting the Positive Discipline Way
July 23-24, 2021
Become a Certified Positive Discipline Parent Educator! Research has demonstrated the importance of social and emotional learning, even above academics. Positive Discipline parenting tools teach valuable social and life skills without using any form of punishment, rewards, praise, permissiveness and even logical consequences—at least hardly ever.
- All individuals completing the 2-day training will be Certified Positive Discipline Parent Educators and will receive a free 1-year membership to the Positive Discipline Association and membership in the Austin Parenting Network- a professional directory of certified positive discipline educators in the greater Austin area.
- LPCs, LMFTs, Social Workers, and Psychologists may earn 13 hours of CEUs.
- Training materials include the Positive Discipline book (by Jane Nelsen, Ed.D.) and the Teaching Parenting manual, which includes over 75 experiential activities to use with parents and caregivers.
- Learn research-based effective tools and techniques for teaching parents how to use discipline that is kind and firm at the same time (non-punitive and non-permissive).
- Learn how to use materials and activities in group settings, parenting classes and individual work with families.
- Gain practice with experiential exercises for “getting into the child’s world” to understand the “belief behind behavior” in order to motivate change.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols for IN-PERSON Workshop
In order to provide the safest experience for all attendees, we will strictly adhere to the following safety guidelines:
1. The training will take place OUTSIDE in our courtyard area at 5000 Bee Caves Road
2. All participants must wear a mask for the duration of the training
3. All participants must maintain 6 feet social distancing from other attendees
4. All participants will attend a brief Zoom meeting to review plans for safety
More details will be forthcoming as we approach our in-person training dates!