Workshops and Groups
Austin Family Counseling is offering a variety of groups this fall. With all that is going on in the world, we hope that these groups can be a safe space to find support from people who are going through the same things you are all while being guided and validated by one of our caring counselors. We hope that by building this community of support and giving you helpful tools we can help you to feel better equipped to handle whatever life throws at you.
- Support and Wellness Group for Teachers
- Support for teacher (of children of all ages) focused on encouragement, community, and wellness.
- Support for Moms of Littles (0-5 year olds) during a Pandemic
- Support for Moms of children 0-5 during COVID time
- Support for Couples Who Are Also parenting
- Support for couples wanting to maintain a healthy and connected relationship while parenting children 0-10 in the time of COVID
- Support for Parenting Teens During a Pandemic
- Support for parents and caregivers of pre-teens and teens in the time of COVID-19.
- Support for Working Moms in the time of COVID
- Support for parents and caregivers who are also working in the time of COVID-19.
- Men’s Support Group
Positive Discipline Workshops
Positive Discipline is for parents and caregivers who are looking for long-term skills that will encourage the children to think for themselves, become more responsible and have greater respect for themselves and for others. Tools are based in Adlerian theory, which promotes kindness and firmness to help parents and caregivers get to the core of the child’s misbehavior, bringing more joy into the home and offering a sense of accomplishment.
These experiential workshop are ideal for parents and caregivers who want to:
- Learn how to teach children and not boss them
- Incorporate respect, firmness and love into discipline
- Understand the reasons and beliefs behind behaviors
- Successfully implement effective family meetings
- Create a home environment that enhances cooperation, collaboration, communication, a sense of connections, accountability and mutual respect.
Teaching Parenting the Positive Discipline Way
Become a Certified Positive Discipline Parent Educator! Research has demonstrated the importance of social and emotional learning, even above academics. Positive Discipline parenting tools teach valuable social and life skills without using any form of punishment, rewards, praise, permissiveness and even logical consequences—at least hardly ever.
- All individuals completing the 6 session training will be Certified Positive Discipline Parent Educators and will receive a free 1-year membership to the Positive Discipline Association and membership in the Austin Parenting Network- a professional directory of certified positive discipline educators in the greater Austin area.
- LPCs, LMFTs, Social Workers, and Psychologists may earn 13 hours of CEUs.
- Training materials include the Positive Discipline book (by Jane Nelsen, Ed.D.) and the Teaching Parenting manual, which includes over 75 experiential activities to use with parents and caregivers.
- Learn research-based effective tools and techniques for teaching parents how to use discipline that is kind and firm at the same time (non-punitive and non-permissive).
- Learn how to use materials and activities in group settings, parenting classes and individual work with families.
- Gain practice with experiential exercises for “getting into the child’s world” to understand the “belief behind behavior” in order to motivate change.